Concerned about high usage
Not sure why your bill is so high? Below is some tips and suggestions to look for.
Check the Meter
- Turn you main breaker off
- Check your electric meter for movement
- The asterisks, dots, triangles or squares at the bottom of the meter should stop
- The asterisks or dots may move for a very short time, but if they continue, call the office at (814) 766-3221 or (800) 270-3177
Check the Circuits
- Leave the main breaker on
- Watch the asterisks, dots, triangles or squares at the bottom of the meter to see how fast they are moving
- Turn off all individual breakers
- The asterisks, dots, triangles or squares should stop. If not there could be short in breaker box or an appliance without fuse/breaker protection.
- Turn on one circuit breaker. Depending what is connected to that breaker, you may have to turn on the appliance, water, etc.
- Watch to see how fast the asterisks, dots, triangles or dots are moving
- Turn that circuit breaker off and turn on another
- Watch to see how fast the asterisks or dots are moving
- Continue repeating steps until all individual circuit breakers have been checked
- You are looking for a circuit that causes the asterisks, dots, triangles or squares to move very fast compared to the other circuits. There could be a problem with an appliance or a connection on that circuit.
Other Common Found Problems:
- Electric hot water tank: Heating element in the process of burning out causes excessive electric usage. Usually common in older hot water tanks.
- Water pumps: Bare wire shorting out against the well pipe casing or shorting out when the water in the well rises to the bare wire.
- Underground wiring problems: Sometimes improperly installed underground wiring to their barn, pump or garage. Due to our climate, rocks will move and puncture underground wiring and causes it to short out.
- Appliances with heating elements: Such as frost free refrigerators and freezers that have heating elements to defrost ice will occasionally go bad and cause excess usage.